Self employed person or liberal activity

  Creating or engaging in an economic activity


  • Your situation

You want to create or participate in a commercial, industrial, artisanal or agricultural activity or work in a liberal profession in France.

  • Your visa

You will be issued with a long-stay visa, equivalent to a (VLS/TS) residence permit, bearing the statement "entrepreneur/profession libérale" (Self-employed in regulated liberal profession).

It is valid for one year on the condition that you apply for your visa validation in the fifteen days following your arrival in France. As soon as arrive, you must complete all the formalities allowing you to carry out your professional activity in France.

  • Your supporting documentation

If you want to set up a new business, you must be able to demonstrate the economic viability of your project. If you want to work in a liberal profession or in an activity that has already been created, you must be able to prove that you have sufficient financial resources i.e. the equivalent of the minimum legal wage in France for a full-time worker.

The required supporting documents related to your personal and professional situation are indicated in the visa wizard.

Important: If your company’s activity or the liberal profession you are engaged in is subject to specific regulations, you must meet the requirements in terms of qualifications/diplomas as well as any other conditions. To learn more, please consult the list of regulated professions.

For more information, please consult: Business France and the Agence France entrepreneur (in French only).

  Setting up as a private medical practitioner


  • Your situation

The conditions are fixed by the French Government and are linked to nationality, qualifications and being registered on the order of physicians (see list of nationalities entitled to practice medicine in France (pdf) in French only). You must have completed all the administrative obligations with the French authorities before applying for your visa.

  • Your visa

You will be issued with a long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit that you must validate in the three months following your arrival in France.

  Making it easier to contribute to France’s economic attractiveness

If your activity contributes to France’s economic attractiveness, you can apply for a "talent-passport”.

This authorises you to stay in France for the duration of your project for an initial four-year period. You can be accompanied by your family upon your arrival in France. They will be issued with a residence permit authorising them to work for the same time period.